Pages

Wednesday 27 August 2014

My historical recount of the voyaging waka

Have you wondered about preparing the boat and getting it ready for the big journey. Hawaiki was a big decision, but I decided my family would be better off in the new land. I would miss my friends because I wouldn't  see them again. I Also would be scared to go on the trip because it was really dangerous.

As we floated across the ocean all you could hear was the water splashing back and forth. The passengers on the boat were very nervous. Soon many dolphins passed by and made the passengers feel like the new land was close.

It was a few days at sea and the passengers were starting to feel scared after the waves hit. The passengers would catch fish  and would keep it fresh by putting it in water. They used coconuts to drink on the way.

After a few days at sea, I began to ask myself if I should find a new land was possible. It was hard being a navigator because people were relying on me to guide our way. There was nothing to do and it was cold and raining.


The navigators knew land was near by the bird,sticks in the water, trees. By the time they were at the new land  people got off and ran to see the new land.

When people  saw the new land it made everyone happy because the trip was a really dangerous and cold.

When we got off the voyage I felt happy and learnt how  to know if you’re near land by the birds and the sticks. Next time I will be more careful of my safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment